Click the below links to download resources:
- Factsheet Summary of ACA
- Phone Script for making calls to Members of Congress
- Letter Template (to members of Congress)
- Summary of the Family is More Than DNA postcard campaign in English | 가족은 유전자 그 이상입니다 – 엽서 캠페인 개요 in Korean (한국어)|
- Petition Forms (Blank)
- Adoptee Citizenship Act Petition in English
- 한국어 의 입양인 시민권 법 에 대한 청원 양식 ( 빈 )
Select files available in non-English languages are in progress. Korean: 영어 이외의 언어로 제공 파일 선택이 진행 중입니다. Spanish: Seleccione los archivos disponibles en idiomas distintos del inglés están en curso. Chinese (Simplified): 选择可用的文件在非-英语语言中的进展. Chinese (Traditional): 選取檔案可在非英文語言都是在進行中. Japanese: で利用できるファイルを選択し、英語の言語が進行中です. Russian: Выберите файлы, доступные в неанглийских языках находятся в стадии. French: Sélectionnez les fichiers disponibles dans les langues non anglophones sont en cours. Vietnamese: Chọn các tập tin có sẵn trong các ngôn ngữ không phải tiếng Anh đang được tiến hành.
Video and Media Clips
- 1130 WISN – Milwaukee’s News/Talk Station The Dan O’Donnell Show 05-15-17
Interview with Mauricio’s Father, Kurt
00:56:11 Dan O’Donnell begins interview regarding the development of Mauricio’s citizenship case
01:06:37 Interview ends
Please note, despite data in the interview, current laws apply to intercountry adoptees born on or after Feb 28, 1983. Intercountry adoptees born before 02/27/1983 are not automatically considered US citizens.
NBC Los Angeles news footage and article 02/01/2017
Thousands of Adults Adopted From Other Countries as Children Living in Fear of Deportation
- Council of Korean Americans Summit Town Hall
Korean Adoptee Emily Kes in support of The Adoptee Citizenship Act
- Land of Gazillion Adoptees Good Day
The Adoptee Citizenship Act of 2015 – Post-Press Release
2012 SBS Interview about Adoptee Deportations – Monte Haines – Eng Subs
- Fox5 D.C. Good Day
Adoptee Citizenship Act 2015 with Kelsey Yoon
- Land of Gazillion Adoptees
The Adoptee Citizenship Act of 2015
- Land of Gazillion Adoptees
Podcast. Episode 5: “The Adoptee Citizenship Act of 2015 (S2275)”
02:08 How did you come to be adopted?
11:33 Would being deported mean in your life?
19:46 Adoption is framed as a positive thing, but what kind of challenges have you faced?
26:30 How American do you feel?
31:33 Closing thoughts
Recent Known Cases and Instances
- About Monte Haines
a Korean adoptee who already has been removed from the US and deported back to Korea.
- Adam Crapser
A Korean adoptee who has children and expected to be deported
- Mauricio Cappelli
A Costa Rican adoptee who was denied re-entry into the U.S.A. after vacation
- Post-Deportation Human Rights Project, Center for Human Rights and International Justice (Boston College, Massachussetts). Source: www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/centers/humanrights/pdf/Smith_amicus_FINAL.pdf
Joao Herbert (deported to Brazil after adopted by family in Ohio),
John Gaul (deported to Thailand after adopted by a family in Florida),
Daniel Heiskala (deported to South Korea after adopted by a family in Michigan and residing in North Carolina and Texas),
Jess Mustanich (deported to El Salvador after adopted from a convent and moving to the California with his family. Re-adoption in the US was not completed due to the adoption agency ceasing operation, and inaction from assigned social workers. ) Source 1. Source 2. Source 3.
Alejandro Ebron (adopted in 1959 from Japan and raised by a military family, whose members served in Vietnam.) grew up believing he was of Filipino and Mexican descent, when faced with deportation, his parents were deceased.
- Susan Hill
A Columbian adoptee separated from her son
CBS19. Deportation Nightmare for Albemarle Family: Part Two
CBS19. Albemarle Family Fights Deportation After Adoption
Print and Web:
- 10/27/2016, International Business Times
Man adopted by US couple as a child to be deported to South Korea after 37 years
- 10/27/2016, Hong Kong Standard
Abandoned by US foster parents, Korean to be deported
- 10/27/2016, Oddity Central
South Korean Man Adopted at Age 3 to Be Deported from the U.S. 37 Years Later
- 10/27/2016, Live 5 News
Adopted and brought to US, South Korean man to be deported
- 10/26/2016, Daily Mail (British based)Korean-American man, 40, who was adopted in the US when he was three years old is set to be deported and separated from his family
- 10/26/2016, Fredericksburg.com
Adopted and brought to US, South Korean man to be deported
- 10/26/2016, CBS News
South Korean man, adopted as a child, to be deported from U.S. 37 years later
- 10/26/2016, The Colombian
Adopted and brought to U.S., Vancouver man to be deported to S. Korea
- 10/26/2016, ABC7 Adopted and Brought to US, South Korean Man to be Deported
- 10/26/2016, Fox News
US to deport South Korean man 37 years after his adoption by American couple
- 10/26/2016, Witchita Eagle
He was adopted at 3. Now, at 40, being deported
- 10/26/2016, Fox12 Oregon
Adopted at 3 and brought to US, Oregon man to be deported to S. Korea
- 10/26/2016, Salon
Adopted at 3 and Brought to the US, S. Korean Man to be Deported
- 10/26/2016, Miami Herald AP News in Brief at 11:04 p.m. EDT
- 09/20/2016, Falls Church News-Press
Annandale Organization Joins Adoptee Rights Campaign
- 09/16/2016, AZ Central
My Turn: U.S. citizenship for adopted children should be a right
- 09/16/2016, Seoul Korean English Radio
Link to recording
- 09/12/2016, WBEZ Worldview
- 09/11/2016, The Columbian
Growing up American, only to learn you’re not
- 09/07/2016, Washington Post
Letter to the Editor: A solution for U.S. adoptees who aren’t citizens
- 09/02/2016, Washington Post
They grew up as American citizens, then learned that they weren’t
- 08/15/2016, ABC Channel 13 Eyewitness News Houston
Local 50 Year-Old Woman Finds Out She Isn’t a Legal Citizen
- 08/02/2016, The Nation.
These Korean Adoptees Grew Up Like Typical American Kids. Then They Learned They Weren’t Citizens
- 07/14/2016, Holt International Blog.
Rallying Support for Adoptee Citizenship
- 07/13/2016, Footnotes from the Field
Interntn’l Adoptees in Citizenship Limbo
- 07/07/2016, New York Times.
Adopted Children Don’t Automatically Become U.S. Citizens
- 07/02/2016. University of Cincinati Law Review.
Gossett, DeLeith Duke, ‘[Take from Us Our] Wretched Refuse’: The Deportation of America’s Adoptees (June 2, 2016). University of Cincinnati Law Review, Vol. 85, No. 1, 2017. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2789112
- 07/01/2016, Public Radio International
She’ll get US citizenship 60 years after being adopted, but thousands more must still wait
- 06/30/2016, The Huffington Post
Help is Needed for International Adoptees Caught In A Legal – And Stateless – Quagmire
- 06/21/2016, Seattle Globalist.
International Adoption Immigration Laws can Lead to Citizenship Surprises
- 06/19/2016, Senator Smith.
Congressman Smith and Congressman Franks Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Secure Citizenship for Adopted Children
- 06/20/2016, Immigrant Connect Chicago.
Korean adoptees: Left Behind, Now Fighting for Citizenship
- 06/17/2016, NBC Asian America
Adoptees’ Push for Citizenship Reaches House of Representatives
- 06/14/2016, NAKASEC Website
House Version of Adoptee Citizenship Act Introduced
- 04/19/2016, The Donaldson Adoption Institute
Adoptees Travel to Congress to Advocate for Citizenship Bill http://www.adoptioninstitute.org/news/adoptees-travel-to-congress-to-advocate-for-citizenship-bill/
- 04/19/2016, NBC Asian America
Adoptees Travel to Congress to Advocate for Citizenship Bill
- 04/19/2016, New America Media
- 04/19/2016, NAKASEC Website
Community Members Join the Adoptee Citizenship Act Day of Action
- 04/12/2016, MPR (Minnesota Public Radio)
For Adopted Kids, Having American Parents Doesn’t Always Mean U.S. Citizenship
- 03/12/2016, Adoptionland
Adopted Overseas as Children, They’re Not U.S. Citizens at All
- 03/08/2016, Holt International Blog.
Support the Adoptee Citizenship Act Today!
- 01/19/2016, Senator Klobuchar.
Klobuchar Calls on Colleagues to Support the Adoptee Citizenship Act
- 12/27/2015 Adoption.com
The Adoptee Citizenship Act of 2015: What You Need to Know
- 12/26/2015, Black German Cultural Society
BGCS Supports 2015 Adoptee Citizenship Act (S.2275)
- 12/26/2015, Land of Gazillon Adoptees.
I Can’t Imagine Being Deported, and Others Should Not Experience It.
- 05/09/2015, NPR.
Supporters Aim to Protect Adult Adoptees from Deportation
- 01/09/2016, National Council for Adoption.
Adoption Advocate. CCA Amendment. (See page 12.)
- 01/06/2014, San Francisco Gate.
Court Prevents Deportation of Felon Adopted by Citizen
- 10/17/2012, Korea Times.
Dark side of Inter-Racial Adoption Surfaces with Arrivals of Grown-Up Adoptees
- 05/29/2012, Huffington Post.
An Unnerving Reality: We’re Deporting Adoptees
- No Date. When Children Come to Live in the United States:
Getting the documents to secure their future
- 10/26, El Nuevo Herald EEUU deportará hombre que fue traído y adoptado hace 37 años
- 07/15/2016, Global Voices (Germany)
Erst 60 Jahre nach ihrer Adoption bekommt sie die Staatsbürgerschaft der USA. Tausende Menschen müssen weiterhin warten.
- 10/27/2016, TV2
Adopteret som 3-årig: Nu skal familiefar deporteres til Sydkorea
- 10/26/2016, Korea Times (VA) ‘한인입양아 강제추방 선고 ‘충격’’
- 10/26/2016, Harald Corporation 헤렐드경제 ‘한국계 美입양인 크랩서 강제추방되나’
- 10/26/2016, Korea Times Atlanta ‘한인남성 …3살 때 입양돼 40세에 추방’
- 10/26,2016 KBS America ‘37 년 전 미국으로 입양됐지만 한국으로 쫒겨날 위기에 놓였던 한인 입양아 출신 애덤 크랩서에게 결국 법원이 강제 추방 명령을 내렸습니다. 인권단체들은 일제히 부당한 선고라며 입양인 시미권법 확대 시행을 촉구하고 나섰습니다. 김지은 기자가 보도합니다.’
- 10/26/2016, Korea Times (LA) ‘한인 입양인 애덤 크랩서 끝내 추방’
- 10/25/2016, SBS International ‘한인들의 시각으로 우리들의 뉴스를 만들어 갑니다.
‘한인의 눈’으로 바라본 뉴스가 바로 여기 있습니다.
따뜻한 뉴스, 기분 좋은 소식을 정성스럽게 전하겠습니다.’
- 10/25/2016, Korea Times (LA) ‘두번의 파양과 학대…‘기구한 운명’ 韓입양인 추방위기’
- 10/25/2016, Korea Daily (LA) ‘한인 입양인 아담 크랩서 추방 판결 ’
- 10/25/2016, Korea Daily (NY) ‘입양인 아담 크랩서, 한국으로 추방’
- 10/25/2016, Korea Daily (Seattle)‘한인 입양인에게 추방 선고’
- 09/08/2016, Korea Times (LA)‘입양인 시민권 법안’ 통과 촉구 나서
- 09/07/2016, World In Canada
미국 입양 후 시민권 못받은 한국인 수두룩 “나는 나라가 없는 사람”
- 09/7, Migrationist
미국으로 입양된 후 시민권 못받은 한국인 수두룩 “나는 나라가 없는 사람”
- 09/07/2016, Radio 1230 (LA)
입양인시민권 법안통과 촉구 캠페인 시작되
- 09/07/2016, Korea Daily (LA)
입양인 시민권 취득 캠페인 시작
- 09/07/2016 Korea Daily (VA)
“입양해놓고 시민권은 나몰라라?”
- 09/07/2016, Korea Times (VA)
입양인 시민권 법안 통과 촉구
- 09/06/2016, K-Radio 1310 (IL)
- 09/06/2016, Korea Times (LA)
‘입양인 시민권 취득’ 법안통과 촉구 캠페인
- 09/6, Radio 1310 (VA)
- 09/06/2016, WKTV (VA)
- 09/05/2016, Korea Times (VA)
‘입양인 시민권 취득’ 법안통과 촉구 캠페인http://www.koreatimes.com/article/20160905/1009700\
- 07/19/2016, OhMyNews! (Korean publication, UK based)
“남편 연금 못 받는다” 입양인에게 ‘충격’ 통보 [인터뷰] 해외입양인 추방반대 캠페인 벌이는 한국계 미국입양인 안드레아 브라운씨
- 07/12/2016, Korea Daily
입양 한인 ’60년 만에 시민권’
- 07/06/2016, Korea Times
미교협 입양인 귀화 법안 지지 모임
- 06/14/2016, Korea Daily (Los Angeles)
성인 입양인에게도 시민권 부여안 하원 상정
- 04/20/2016, 크리스천연합뉴스
국외 입양인에게 시민권을 부여하라
- 04/20/2016, 중앙일보 (Los Angeles)
모든 입양인에게 시민권을…민족학교 등 캠페인 및 집회
- 04/19/2016, Korea Times
입양아 출신에 시민권 발급을
- 04/14/2016, 크리스천연합뉴스
입양인시민권법 통과를 위한 의회행동의 날
- 04/14/2011, 중앙일보 (Los Angeles)
한국으로 가면 연고도 없는데…입양 한인여성 ‘안타까운 추방’
Materials & Resources
Updated on 2018-02-20T23:17:28+00:00, by .